It’s not easy for a creative person to turn all business-y and start keeping track of submissions and try to figure out a way to know where to submit an article after it’s been rejected.
I know there’s great software out there, but I’m cheap, so I use Excel and a file folder for now. My spreadsheet for 30 Queries in 30 Days has 31 rows (one row for titles) and 8 columns. I use one document and make each Sheet a different month.
My column headings are:
1. Day (1 through 30, even on months with 31 or 28 days)
2. Publication name
3. Article title or idea
4. Date sent
5. Notes (did I e-mail, had I queried before?)
6. Follow-up date (not quite sure as of now when or if to follow up with the local parenting pubs … I’ll probably assume they don’t want it if I don’t hear back within a month. If I plan to submit it elsewhere in their geographic area, I suppose I’ll check back in about 8 weeks. If I still don’t hear from them, I’m going to …
7. Plan B (this is a pub I’ll send to next in the same geographic area or state or, if it’s an essay, I may submit to a contest)
8. Plan C (a second pub in geographic area or state)
How do you track submissions?