Sunday, January 11, 2009

Addicted to Querying

I have a problem. I love querying. Instead of working the 30 Queries in 30 Days plan, I’m doing my own plan. I have strayed.

Instead, I’m trying to exhaust my Stock-up Mentality reprint. I sent it out 30 times in December and got one acceptance (with changes) and another pub wanted me to write something entirely different, which I did. So now I have TWO things I can put into circulation.

I made a spreadsheet of parenting pubs by state so I don’t accidentally submit to two in the same area and piss off an editor (or two). In the notes section, I add the date I submitted my reprint. I fill in the rows (in Excel) different colors based on what month I submitted so I know when I can submit to something in the same area next month.

So as not to get confused (so easy for me), I started a different worksheet in the same document for a different article. I figure if someone wanted to buy my piece on Moms Making Money (without hiring a sitter), maybe others would want to buy it. I plan to send it out before it even becomes a reprint.

Instead of 30 Queries in 30 Days, it’s more like 50 Queries in 15 Days.

I hope there’s a 12-step program for Writers Addicted to Querying.

No comments: