Saturday, January 3, 2009

Query Changing Directions

One of my “30 Queries in 30 Days” recipients was not interested in the reprint I sent, but she was intrigued by the MotherAndChildReunion.com series I wrote. I knew it wouldn’t fit their needs as-is, so I offered to re-work it and get to her within a week, on Saturday. Did I mention the week I had to work on the revised article was CHRISTMAS WEEK?!

Finally on Saturday evening I get a couple of hours to finish the article. I find the perfect photo of me to submit (can’t look all fat-faced!) since they publish a picture by the author bio. I agonize over this thing and hit SEND at 10 p.m.

Then I check my e-mail and there is an Auto Reply from the editor that she will be out of the office for another week.

I could’ve had ANOTHER week? That’s what I get for jumping the gun instead of asking HER when SHE would need the article.

This is what I mean by learning from my mistakes. I’m at the point where editors totally intimidate me. I can’t wait for the day when I become a true diva and TELL the editors to not re-work a single word of my copy because it is golden just the way it is.

Just kidding.

No comments: