Sunday, February 15, 2009

Changing Course, Part 2

More on the evolution of my writing career (I almost put career in quotes, but realized that would be self-sabotaging???):

7. Decide I don’t have enough going on with homeschooling and mothering 4 little kids and also that I didn’t give my little reprint enough of a fighting chance and start sending it out like crazy, trying to leave no stone unturned. So far, 3 pubs have said they want it, and I had to re-write it with a local angle for 2.

8. One pub wanted to see what I did for Mother and Child Reunion, so I wrote the series as one article. Sold.

9. Another pub liked it but wanted me to add Freelancing as a job. Sold.

10. Get the bright idea to write something specifically for an upcoming issue. National Library Week is in April, so I pound out a little piece about how great the library is and why you should check it out with your kids. Just submitted a ton of those (55?). One pub wants it so far … no pay. It’s all good.

11. I have tons of sample copies, so why don’t I write something tailored to something larger, like BabyTalk or Parenting or Parents? Well, because it would take a long time, a lot of research and I’m a homeschooling mother of 4?!

12. I realize I could practically take some of my blog posts and turn them into humorous essays and submit them to the ¼ of the parenting pubs that print that sort of thing. Rather than mass-querying, I need to be more aware of what I am sending to each publication. I probably need to collect more sample copies, but that is a job in and of itself.

Also along the way, I became an eHow.com junkie (even though it’s pretty clear it’s all based on outside viewers clicking on advertising) and keep posting on Today.com in the hopes of getting paid someday (still pending; I’ll let you know), AND start a 2nd Today.com blog in the hopes of becoming RICH, RICH!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

the said...

Congrats on taking on a writing career along with the homeschooling! I attachment parent also. I have 11 year old twins and a 12 year old and write paranormal fiction.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Thanks for visiting the Querytracker.net Blog.

Mary Lindsey said...

Ack! I've no idea why google identified me a "the" in the comment above. :) Let's see if it does it right this time.

Tonya said...

OH my...loved your tale! I am also a homeschooling momma of three. Also feel like I don't have ENOUGH to do, started writing on ehow...then started a website..spent $100 for domain and such so I could "monetize". Started a couple of other blogs, and still looking to add in the residual income. I know about the today.com. How long have you been on it?? I am feeling like "HOW MANY BOWLS SHOULD I HAVE MY FINGERS IN?" There are alot of things to do, but which way to go?? I would love to hear more about how you send things to publishers...could be very interesting.

Tonya
www.ouralphabetsoup.com