Friday, February 13, 2009

Changing Course

To recap, here’s the evolution of me as a writer (done in two parts, so as not to put you to sleep):

1. Submit series on how to make money with your kid on your hip to Mother and Child Reunion. Submit 4 articles, see them only online (which is great), am too chicken to ask for money. They are still online, 4 years later, and I never asked for money. I consider it a writing credit.

2. Submit article on stocking your pantry and freezer with meals to save time, money and sanity to Kansas City Parent. It runs in the January 2007 issue, I make $25 and am ecstatic.

3. Submit essay to New Beginnings (La Leche League’s magazine) on how much I love having my kids nap on me. It runs in the March/April 2007 issue, I get 2 free copies and am ecstatic again.

4. I stumble upon an article online about selling reprints and start trying to pimp out my Stock-up-Mentality article. I make many mistakes (no SASE, for one, and never checking my e-mail box is another), receive one kind rejection, and don’t hear from anyone else.

5. Get fired up about kids and fundraising, pound out a piece, submit it to my local newspaper and see it in print 6 months later. Pay = the satisfaction of my family knowing I can sort-of write.

6. Start blog in July of 2008 to get the writing juices flowing and get some ideas down. Start writing blog a few months later to chronicle the fun.

Come back in 2 measly days (or sign up for my e-mail version so you don’t have to remember) to find out the exciting conclusion of this fascinating story …

5 comments:

Darling Nikki said...

I am waiting on pins and needles!

Monkey's Mama said...

How exciting that you've been published. remember you have to walk before you learn to fly and sounds like your off to a runny start. WTG! thanks for Joining my blog. :)

Jen said...

Nice blog! You remind me of my own mom, who's currently trying to make decent money off of writing online articles. I'll definitely be back. Luck on everything.

-Jen

Lady Glamis said...

I look forward to more of your post!

AlpHa Buttonpusher said...

5 kids under the age of 8...*bows*..lol..
I'll be back :)