Thursday, March 5, 2009

Changing Course Part 3

I know I should be working on essays, but my pregnant brain isn’t working in that way these days. Maybe in the next trimester.

Instead I came up with a (hopefully) good idea for the local parenting pubs, of which there are like 200!

BUT … I can’t make it general, so I’ll have to research every city I send this piece to and tailor it to each place.

I’m starting with the pubs who have already published me (or are supposed to be publishing me in March and April).

If I localize it to them and they like it, then I will put in the time to research other cities (using only pubs for which I have a sample copy!!!) and query to them.

My hope is that I’ll get more published if I take it local from the start. Instead of spending hours sending e-mail queries to pubs (many of which I don’t even know if they publish my kind of stuff, if they are solely on-line, etc.), I’ll spend a few extra minutes on each place and hopefully get more acceptances that way.

Time to get un-lazy. So hard for me.

2 comments:

Lady Glamis said...

It's hard to do ANYTHING productive when you're pregnant. Except make the baby...

I thought you would enjoy this post by Rachelle Gardner on writing as a stay-at-home mom.

For Moms Only

Nightowl Mama said...

Sounds like a wonderful plan. Can't wait to hear how it goes. and let me know when that teething article is done. I can certainly use some tips!