Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Query Statistics to Date

December was a good month because I only sent out 31 queries. I got 3 accepted (1 of them 2 months later), for a total of about 10% accepted.

January wasn’t so great because I over-queried. I got 3 that will be published and 4 maybes. And 3 actual rejections, which means at least they received it and looked it over. My success rate that month was 2%.

February I was newly pregnant and little bit lazy. I only queried 26 and heard back from ZERO by mid-March. Of course, half of the queries I sent were this thing I called an “essay” which was more like a gripefest.

I’m not telling you all this to brag. I’m telling you this to show you that some places will love your piece and some places won’t. Some may not contact you for a long time.

My point is this: KEEP AT IT. You will want to give up. You will want to pitch all your sample copies and send an email to everyone in your Writing Contacts that you are done writing forever. Just keep going.

Take a break, wait for a good idea, research it and keep going.

3 comments:

Nicole O'Dell said...

Those are really good results! I think it's cool that you track it like that.

Julie said...

Inspiriring and oh-so-true...the part about wanting to quit!!

Julie said...

That is a new word...ha...inspiring