Wednesday, April 14, 2010

When Multi-Tasking Turns Bad

Growing up, my parents sometimes told me I did jobs around the house in a half-assed manner. They would also call me “Sidetrack” because it would take me hours to clean my room since I could get easily sidetracked by any piece of paper or article of clothing.

When I was fired from my job as Administrative Assistant to the president of a PR firm at the age of 27, my boss told me I needed focus. I didn’t understand what she meant.

It’s frustrating to realize that in trying to do too many things and suck so much out of life, I am sometimes good at nothing. I love writing so much that I am saying YES to so many opportunities that come my way, and yet I also have these wonderful kids and a great husband and a rich family life.

Does anyone else have this problem?

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I am so with you! In so many ways I can relate, relate, relate! I work full time, I have 2 teenage daughters, and I am married. My girls were always cheerleading, playing sports, or involved in some sort of extra curricula activity. I am very involved in my church, and I'll tell you, I cook and clean house too! I graduated from SPC in 2007 with an AA in journalism that took me years to earn, then transferred to USF and had to drop out. I want to be a writer and I want a writing job...period. I am in banking and it pays the bills and I love working with the customers. I am a people person, what can I say. Yes I do a half job of some things too and that sucks to tell you the truth. Life is too short to wallow in it though, let's just say that I am living a full life! What a blessing!

Nishant said...

I love working with the customers.
Contextual Ad Network India